Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Vampire a Day... - The Making of a Vampire

A Vampire a Day... - The Making of a Vampire


I haven't written, lately, about vampire-related photography; therefore, here's another post on how to photograph vampires. I was working on some pictures from a Halloween party when I came over the one posted here ("Vampire Kiss" or "Kiss of a Vampire" Left). While deciding on a title for this image, I'm still not entirely sure: "Vampire Kiss," "Kiss of a Vampire" or "The Making of a Vampire."
"Vampire Kiss" Copyright Alina Oswald, 2010. All Rights Reserved.
"The Making of a Vampire" may fit the best, in a way, because it suggests just the opposite of the burning/death/burial of a vampire (photography, that I mentioned in a previous post). Here, though, the idea is to illustrate, somehow, the making of a vampire, the actual creative (in a way) act--or maybe creation in the wake of destruction--of a hungry, bloodthirsty, brand new vampire.

The image just happened... I didn't really plan on making it. At the Halloween party, at this outrageous, outfit and masked game of darkness mixed with fantasy, gore and mystery, there were "vampires," "dark angels," and masked individuals who gladly wanted to become vampires. Therefore, I asked one of the "vampires" to act as if he was about to bite this masked young man in the picture. I thought that making the image B&W, with only the eyes and the mouth/lips of the vampire to show in color, would add to the image.

I believe, like with many other aspects of vampire photography, that capturing the making of a vampire can be quite fascinating. After all, it represents the moment when the human ceases to exist, only to allow the birth of a vampire, a creature (so-believed and thought to be) without a soul, a monster who has no choice but to "borrow" or "use" the human body and kill to stay alive. 

As I mentioned above, the picture was taken at a Halloween party. It was quick thing, my instant reaction to an idea that just happened to cross my mind in that particular moment. I hope to have the chance to retake this image in a more controlled environment, something like a studio or home studio. Also, a note about the crop... I left the smile to show on the "victim's" face, in this case. If I wanted a more dramatic image, I could have cropped the face so that only the "victim's" eye would show, or posed my models (which, at the time was not a choice) to play a more (maybe sexually charged, yet still morbid) scene. I say morbid because, after all, the gesture implies the killing of a human being and the making of a vampire. As with any other fantasy that may translate into visual (or other kind of) art, here, again, possibilities are infinite. This is only one example, one that just happened. Thankfully.

Look forward to more vampire photography shoots. Until then, thanks for visiting.


Alina Oswald
www.alina-arts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment