Thursday, January 13, 2011

Looking for Warriors...

In my previous blog post I mentioned the National AIDS Museum and its dedicated and fascinating founder, the wonderful Ashley Grosso. I was humbled by having one of my artworks, "Angel in Central Park" (inspired by Angels in America) as part of the AIDS Museum's permanent collection. I'd like to talk here, briefly, about how I got to get in touch with the museum and Ashley Grosso.

It was because Kurt Weston, one of my dear friends and mentor photographers, an award-winning photographer and subject of my book, Journeys Through Darkness, mentioned the AIDS Museum a few years back, during the final interview for the book.

Ashley Grosso was nice enough to post the first article I wrote on Kurt Weston on the museum's site. In the article called "Warrior Within," which was originally published in A&U Magazine, Weston talks about his experience with living with AIDS and AIDS-related vision loss, and also about our ability to become warriors when faced with extreme situations such as a deadly, life-threatening disease like AIDS or cancer. Hearing Kurt Weston's story made me wonder about warriors, about who can become a warrior and who cannot, and started me on a quest of finding these warriors... I did. Quite a lot of them. I've had the privilege of learning from them and becoming friends with some of them.

The truth is that warriors live among us. All we have to do is look around and notice them, and also learn from their experiences.

More on warriors in the upcoming posts. For now, I'd like to share with you my article, Warrior Within as it appears on the AIDS Museum site (you'll have to scroll down, but not much).

Hope you'll enjoy the read. As always, thanks for visiting,

Alina Oswald
Author of Journeys Through Darkness
www.alina-arts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment