Monday, March 21, 2011

Supermoon Rising

 
The supermoon. Every 18 years the Moon gets on a point on its orbit where is the closest to Earth. That's when we get what we call the Super-Moon. It happened this year during the weekend of March 18th, 2011. I got to watch the supermoon rise over the Manhattan, illuminate the waters of the Hudson, and then passed on the Jersey Side to continue yet another night round over the continent.

"Big Moon: Nature & Man" Copyright Alina Oswald, 2011. All Rights Reserved.
"Supermoon Over 9/11 Monument" Copyright Alina Oswald, 2011.
I waited for the Supermoon-rise for quite a long time. I waited patiently, freezing next to my tripod, holding on to the camera, switching from gloves to no gloves while trying to capture the sunset as it reflected over the Hudson and Manhattan. And then, when it all went dark and quiet, I saw It (or should I say... Her?) The Supermoon, sneaking up from above the buildings. One could easily confused it for another Manhattan coppery light. It was a (source of) light, all right, but not man-made. It was all the doing of Mother Nature.
Supermoon-Rise Over Lower Manhattan. Copyright Alina Oswald, 2011

"Crowned: Supermoon over World Financial Center" Copyright Alina Oswald, 2011. All Rights Reserved.
"Supermoon Super-Reflections" Copyright Alina Oswald, 2011
As it started to rise from just north of Lower Manhattan, the reddish turned goldish, and then pale. The Supermoon provided the source not only of a super-back-light (or background light) which silhouetted the Manhattan, but it also provided a super-reflection, silhouetted the Hudson waves and ripples.

I took a few shots of the Supermoon and its super light and reflection as I followed it from Jersey City promenade: watched it rise over the Lower Manhattan, the Hudson River, sending slivers of light over the Jersey City 9/11... monument, and farther.

As it left us behind, the Supermoon began to rise higher and higher, becoming slightly smaller, yet still full moon (it was a full moon, indeed), continuing to shed its light over the rest of the continent and the world.

PS: I photographed the last full lunar eclipse last year, on Dec 21st. I totally froze to take the shots then, too. I froze then much more than I did this past weekend. Both experiences were--and will remain--priceless, though, despite the shivers, despite the fact that, each time, they reminded me that I need to buy a longer lens...

Above all, photographing the moon/the Supermoon has helped me reconnect with Mother Nature, rediscover the immense beauty and the power it has over us. This weekend was yet another reminder that, in some strange way, maybe, Mother Nature is always watching over us, like the Moon. Sometimes we do take notice.

PPS: this post was reshared on CNN iReport.

As always, thanks for visiting,
Alina Oswald
www.alina-arts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment