Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photographing the Moon

Photographing the moon, the starts and other bright lights in the night

Ah...the moon and the starts. I've always been fascinated by them, by a universe beyond our own. I can only imagine it and try to capture it with my long (but not long enough) lens.

Hence, I was so looking forward to this past Monday's blood moon total lunar eclipse. [sigh] After all, I stood up all night on December 21st, 2010, and truly froze outside, to photograph the total lunar eclipse that took place that night. But, Mother Nature was not on my side this past Monday night.

Yes, I did stay up and yes, I did shoot a few pictures, but dark thick clouds stood in the way of an optimal view. [sigh again] While I could not wipe away the clouds, I photograph, secretly hoping that the second event of this kind, this October, the moon, the bloody moon I should say, will show itself to us under much clearer night skies. I posted a few thoughts and pictures taken that night on CNN iReport.

But one doesn't have to wait for a total or partial lunar eclipse, for a bloody moon or a super-moon to take pictures of this beauty illuminating the night sky. Here are a few pictures of moon-rises from across the globe.

Moonrise and the palm trees. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
Moonrise and the palm trees. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.

Moonrise and the palm trees. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
Moonrise and the palm trees. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.

Blood Moon Eclipse in the early hours of April 15, 2014. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
Blood Moon Eclipse in the early hours of April 15, 2014. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.

Moonrise over Manhattan. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.


Blood Moon. Total Lunar Eclipse. Photo by Alina Oswald.
Blood Moon. Total Lunar Eclipse 2010. Photo by Alina Oswald.
The picture on the left was shot a few years ago. I was lucky to catch the moon just starting to rise above the Manhattan skyline, and the highrises that define it.

A few years ago, I also tried to snap a shot of the super-moon. While I did not get enough details in the moon, I captured its watery reflections.

Lunar Eclipse, 2010. Photo by Alina Oswald.
Lunar Eclipse, 2010. Photo by Alina Oswald.
And, finally, the last image is a shot of a blood moon I photographed during the total lunar eclipse of December 2010. Link to a composite capturing the eclipse is posted here.

As always, thanks for stopping by!

Alina Oswald
Writer/Photographer/Author



PS: An update: thanks to a wonderful friend with a telescope, yet no adapter for the camera/lens, I had the chance to look at Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and the moon, more closely. Here are a few images of the moon as seen through the telescope:

Blurry Moon: Photographing the Moon through the Telescope. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
Blurry Moon: Photographing the Moon through the Telescope. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.



The moon seen through the telescope. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
The moon seen through the telescope. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.










2 comments:

  1. Alina, you're so talented. I love your photos!! How could I not? I see one every morning when I sit at my computer. :) Keep it up, my dear. I can not WAIT until we finally meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sean, Thanks so much! Your comments always have a way to make my day :-) I'm trying to keep up. Have several projects in the works and it's been kinda hectic, but, hey, that's ok. And, absolutely, I'd love to meet you in person. You DO let me know if you are ever in this part of the world. BTW, I love your blog! Will stop by there soon. Thanks again, very much!

    ReplyDelete