Monday, January 26, 2015

Winter Storm Juno in and around New York City

Severe Weather: Snow Storm Juno. January 26, 2015

Finally, finally, winter is finally here. And the first blizzard or the year, too. That's right. It's called winter storm Juno.

So, I had to check it out, if only for a few moments. I got my camera ready, placed it in the waterproof special plastic bag, to keep it from getting wet, dressed warmly, and did not forget my special photographer gloves, the ones that allow you to pull out your thumb and index finger in order to be able to use the camera. One word of caution, here. Do not pull our your fingertips before it's the right time, because they will freeze and become numb, and you won't be able to use them to...operate the camera. In addition, keep in mind that the camera is in a plastic bag, which makes it even more difficult to photograph.

Did I mention that I've been battling a nasty cold for a few days now, and that today, before my contact with the snow, I wasn't feeling too bad, but I can't say the same thing now, that I'm back inside? But it's all for a very good reason.

Anyway, when I stepped outside, it was, well, it was cold, and windy. The wind started picking up by the time I reached the waterfront. Two joggers passed by me, only to do it again, only a few moments later, in the opposite direction.

As I reached the boardwalk, I realized why the two joggers had changed their minds so quickly--snow, frozen snow, and, mostly, wind, the kind that slashes and slaps the skin. I walked around only for a few moments, enough to take a couple of snapshots of an invisible Manhattan, and ferry silhouettes, resembling the ghost ship from Pirates of the Caribbean.

NYC Ferry on the Hudson during winter storm Juno. January 26, 2015. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
NYC Ferry on the Hudson during winter storm Juno. January 26, 2015. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
 I walked a few more steps, squinting, only to notice a shadow of a skyline, and also city lights. It was the city line of Lower Manhattan. From outside the island, when you cannot see Manhattan, it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. Lost in space and darkness. It's the weirdest feeling, uneasy and somewhat unpleasant.... 


Lower Manhattan buildings as seen from across the Hudson River, during winter storm Juno, January 26, 2015. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
Lower Manhattan buildings as seen from across the Hudson River, during winter storm Juno, January 26, 2015. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.

Needless to say, I didn't hang out for too long. On my way back home, I noticed tiny snow tornadoes forming from the ground up, in the air. They wouldn't last long, only as long as the wind was gusting through them.

And in all that storm, there were a few people, finding their way home. Maybe they were coming from grocery shopping, a bag in their hands.


An individual faces winter storm Juno, carrying in hand a bag with a few groceries. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
A woman stops for a few moments, facing the snow, carrying a bag with groceries. Behind her, an invisible Manhattan Island. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.

 What I found most fascinating was the patterns created by the snowflakes in the wind, illuminated by garden lights. They would changed direction flawlessly, slicing the air, zigzagging as they were about to weave it an icy coat


Lights, camera, action on winter storm Juno, January 26, 2015. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
Snow storm Juno captured in garden headlights. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
I could see the snowflakes up close and personal, forming tiny, illuminated, storms. A mesmerizing sight.

Snowflakes. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
Snowflakes, looking more like out of space particles. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.

This lip of ice hanging from this outdoor garden light in the image, below, somehow reminded me of lava, spilling out of the volcano crater. Similar shape. Different materials. Different temperatures.

Ice brimms the outdoors garden light. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.
Ice spill. Photo by Alina Oswald. All Rights Reserved.

Also, here's a very short video:

video



It's quiet outside now. Cold. Windy. It doesn't seem to be snowing anymore, not for now, anyway. Until when, I wonder?

Thanks for stopping by! Stay safe and warm.

Alina Oswald
Writer/Photographer/Author

PS: Morning updates

Snow plows are out, cleaning the streets. It's windy. Cold. A few snowflakes in the air, thick ones. But there's nowhere new a hundred percent chance of snow, as announced. But it's picking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment