Friday, April 3, 2015

April Is Poetry Month

April is Poetry Month
From the archives: Balance, a poem

Many, many years ago, I used to write poetry. And since April is Poetry Month, I'd like to share with you a poem I wrote (only) a few years ago, inspired by a fantastic photographer, mentor, and great friend. Here's a poem I ended up including in my book, Journeys Through Darkness: A Biography of AIDS.


Balance
(For Kurt)

Cover for JOURNEYS THROUGH DARKNESS: A BIOGRAPHY, by Alina Oswald w/ photography by Kurt Weston
JOURNEYS THROUGH DARKNESS: A BIOGRAPHY, w/ photography by Kurt Weston




Angels and Demons,
Saints and Sinners,
Modern crucifixes,
Stigmatizing Life and what follows it,
Our Journey through Darkness and Light
And the shades of gray in between,
Matter and Antimatter
Make us whole and leave us empty
Creatures of a dual nature:
Surrenders and Survivors,
Warriors
Seeking a balance
In a world disturbed by shadows.

With one of my favorite angels. Dark Angel photograph by Kurt Weston
With one of my favorite angels. Dark Angel photograph by Kurt Weston
To learn more about one of the most amazing photographers (and one of my favorite photographers), Kurt Weston, visit his website, at www.kurtweston.com, or read Journeys Through Darkness: A Biography about his life and art.



As always, thanks for stopping by!

Happy Friday!



Alina Oswald

No comments:

Post a Comment